Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sporting extravaganza


Soccer in Germany, Tennis in France, cricket in the Carribean and England, and basketball at home. What to see? How to see? How to make sure not a single goal is missed, every single wicket seen, all slam dunks appreciated, and all those powerful Nadal backhands are cheered?

I am kinda handicapped by the fact that I do not have a TV here. A TV here costs less than cable charges, and in my opinion.. that is absolutely ridiculous. Spending about 40 bucks every month to get a few news channels and watch some crazy talk shows is not my idea of a wise investment, and if I want to watch all these aforementioned events, the cost would treble. Unless my co gives me an entertainment allowance, watching TV comes into the extravagance category.

But then, being a sports freak that I am, it is difficult to stay away from all these. Just checking the websites and reading reports is like drinking only one glass of beer. You are getting the drink, but not the kick. So, I resorted to M/s Page and Brin. Cricket live webcast, Cricket online telecast, World cup Soccer live, French open webcast, India West Indies Streaming blah blah were the phrases I lived with for almost 2 weeks. I visited umpteen forums, got bucketloads of links and downloaded so many applications, that my laptop started giving me electric shocks when I touched it at one point of time.

But, as they say, mehnat ka phal hamesha meetha hota hai. I got links to watch not only these sporting events, but also Hindi channels, English movie channels, Tamil movie channels, Friends, Tom and Jerry and some unwanted Chinese/Japanese/Korean/German/Spanish/Italian channels, which I don't watch often, but sometimes its fun to see something you dont understand. :). All this for free (of course, I have to pay my internet charges to M/s Warner)

Now for the clincher. Since there is no TV involved, there is no reason to "switch" between channels. Mr Gates and co ensured that their OS is capable of running multiple applications at the same time. M/s Warner dont care how much of data I use as long as I pay my 30 bucks a month, and therefore, I can simultaneously watch the different games, if the timings overlap. I can watch Didier Drogba's incisive runs into the goal with L.Sivaramakrishnan and Jeffrey Dujon talking about how Kumble is a great leg spinner. Or I can watch Federer hit a scorching forehand in one window and Beckham goofing up on yet another free kick in another. The image shows what I was watching this afternoon. I have now ensured that, unless I am in office, I do not have to miss any major sporting event happening in the world.

PS: BTW, yes, I am blogging after a long time. I have been plain lazy, and as usual, enthu/time never come together, and yes, I shall keep this page alive now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adarsh Sridhar said...

Great, but first try to set the date/time right - it shows this post as October 15th 2005.

Oh, and can you send me the links you've accumulated for so long ? Mehnat ka phal meetha hota hai, par doosron ke mehnat ka phal aur bhi meetha hota hai. :-)

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it seems you are making good use of a laptop!.
- Badri

9:24 PM  
Blogger Avi said...

Darsh: Dei, I dont want to be the cause for you getting diabetes! About the date, I dunno how that happened, but who cares when I posted

Badri Thalaivar: Yes sir, my communication/entertainment/computing device. Can't live without it. How are you? and where art thou?

8:49 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Yay! Good to see someone back in the blogworld, though its full of cricket and other boring stuff for now..:p

10:56 AM  
Blogger Prashanth said...

Last weekend was a dream weekend for any sports fan! Good that you got to watch it all :)
Too bad India couldnt pull it off in the 2nd test again!

4:31 AM  
Blogger A Sethi said...

hey must say u'r work is well composed.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home