Friday, March 26, 2004

Depression se ladaai



Turning on the funny bone when the mind is depressed is very difficult. But humour is a great medicine to cure depression, and above all its free too. But, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The catch is, the humour cannot come from within the self. So you would have to go looking for that person, who can come with some witty humour. But when u r all lonely and stuff, when you dont know, when and where from you are gonna see the next human, it is difficult not to stay depressed. Pretty complicated huh??

Well, I guess I would explore the depths of my mind to come up with something which can remove my depression. It shouldn't be too difficult for a guy like me, who has humour overflowing from within(according to ppl). But then, Mr Depression has a rather curious and somewhat effective way of suppressing non-serious emotions, and I would try my best to fight him with the will to remain unconquered.

Usually, if I am depressed, ppl who are near and dear to me get affected too... I guess depression is contagious, spreads through wired and wireless mediums. That could be a cool technological breakthrough, or mebbe a technological catastrophe. Viruses only affect the computer, but a disease that can affect the user, is something terrible. Scientists could well take note of this phenomenon and move into overdrive to find a remedy. But wrking overdrive is probably a chief cause for depression, so here we would hv a classic situation where a researcher falls prey to the exact disease he is trying to cure. Becomes very filmi..... but then, films are after a portrayal of reality, right?

So, it is best to find the remedy for this from within the self. One very good way, something that I follow, is that I hv a folder in my mail client labelled jokes. I started browsing through it (I hv jokes accumulated for the past 2 years, at the rate of at least 15-20 jokes a day) from bottom up. Trust me, it works wonderfully. Somewhere after reading 15-20 jokes, I forgot what I was depressed about. Another 10 jokes, I started laughing and another 5 jokes i was ROTFL(Rolling On The Floor Laughing, for the ignorant). When you are in this kinda mood, you are reminded of the reason for depression, and more often than not, u end up questioning if that reason really deserved the onset of Mr Depression. The moment a question like this pops out, you are cured!!

Of course, sometimes the reason can be a bit more profound, and the question may not pop out. Even the jokes folder wont help. Then I would suggest that you break the loneliness, and go find some engaging company, someone whose presence/voice is really soothing to the senses. Or listen to some good music or better, watch a cricket match!!! :) A cricket match like the Karachi one will give rise to so many other emotions that Mr Depression has no choice but to wait for another opportunity to invade. Watch a re-run and see the effects! :)

All people who read this and adopt some of these methods to fight depression, do let me know if it is effective. Maybe its time I consider a career change!! ;)

--Avi

P.S: If u thought I was depressed, forget it. There is nothing in life that can drive me to so much despair that I hv to follow these steps. :). This is just an attempt to write a somewhat serious blog!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home